Healthy Egg Muffins with Spinach and Mushrooms
Yesterday was one of those day when all my diet and good healthy intentions disappeared in front of a pint of Häagen-Dazs ice cream.
Yes it was delicious, but as every food hangover I just wanted something extra healthy the next morning. You know, to compensate the disaster on my diet intentions.
Then I remember these fluffy and soft egg muffins. They would be the guilty-free breakfast that I needed. This is the right way to start a day.
You only need 5 ingredients and 30 minutes to achieve these little muffins that are so yummy. Even Luna loves them! She was meowing all the time while I was taking the pictures.
The only compromise that I made with this recipe was —I promise not bacon at all— a little of low fat mozzarella. For me, egg muffins must have that cheesy feeling. Those strings of cheese coming out of the egg cup… HEAVENLY.
- 2 cups of spinach leafs
- 150 gr of white mushrooms chopped
- ¼ cup of low fat mozzarella
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of milk
- Pinch of salt and white pepper
Preheat the oven to 200ºC (390ºF)
In a pan over medium heat cook the mushrooms and the spinach until both are soft. Add a pinch of salt and white pepper.
Mix the eggs in a bowl, the milk and a little bit more of salt. (note 1)
Add the mushrooms and the spinach to the egg mix. (note 2)
Use a cupcake nonstick pan to cook the muffins. Take them to the oven for 15 minutes.
- The milk will give “air” to the mix and it will make the muffins softer. If you don't have milk or you are lactose intolerant, you can use water.
- Usually, the mushrooms and the spinach will lose water when they are cooked. Do not transfer this water to the mix.
Tags: breakfast, egg muffins, mushroom, spinach