The 4 Best Stone Cookware 2021 (+Full review)
**Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Some of our links are affiliate links
The 4 Top Stone Cookware
What is Stoneware?
Stoneware is cookware made out of clay which is lead-free, cadmium free and free of other toxins. Proper stoneware should have gone through a furnace process above 2000 – 2100 Fahrenheit. Stoneware has stood the test of time as it has been around since ancient cooking and now it can be found in traditional as well as modern kitchens. The reason why cooking with stone has become increasingly popular is due to the following benefits.
Table of Contents
- 1 The 4 Top Stone Cookware
- 2 What is Stoneware?
- 3 Best Stone Cookware
- 4 Final Thoughts
Healthier and Safer
Cookware materials such as copper and aluminum leach metal into the food as you cook and these are toxic metals, especially when overheat. Stoneware on the other hand, is natural and stable due to its heating process. This makes the food produced healthier, safer and more flavorsome.
Because stoneware is a natural product just like cast iron, it distributes heat evenly thus enabling efficient cooking. Especially in baking, you get a rustic color in your cakes and bread because of the even distribution of heat.
Due to the heating process endured by Stoneware, it can withstand cooking temperatures up to 2200 Fahrenheit. This is way higher than your oven can accommodate. Though it can crack and break when it’s dropped, with standard care it could be easily passed down through generations as it handles wear and tear easily.
Best Stone Cookware
The Stoneline cookware was developed in Germany and used in multitudes of European modern and traditional kitchens. Just like cast iron, it is strong and durable giving you lasting quality. The Stoneline range of cookware is however not fully made of stoneware. It has a micro-coating layer of stone giving it a natural non-stick surface that makes frying eggs and cheese a breeze. Cleaning is an easy with a swipe of a paper towel saving you heaps of time.
In comparison to other non-stick pans, Stoneline’s stone micro-coated surface prevents easy scratches if the right utensils are used. It should be treated like a non-stick pan as opposed to a stoneware.
The Stoneline Deep Frypan can be heated to the point where meats can be seared to lock in moisture and flavour. The handle can withstand up to 350F making it convenient enough to make a casserole in.
Having such a depth, this pan makes great use for making stir fries, sautéed dishes and the list goes on.
Customer Reviews on Amazon is a mixed bag. Overall, the Stoneline Deep Fry Pan had 4.2 out of 5 stars. Whilst some customers stood by the pan, several others would not go near the pan again.
So here are the Pros and Cons:
- Stone Micro-coating layer gives this fry pan a natural non-stick surface
- The depth of the pan makes it excellent for sautéed dishes, stir fries and stovetop lasagnes
- The ability of the Stoneline Deep Fry Pan to withstand high temperatures, including the handle which can withstand 350F makes it l easy to start the casserole on the stove and put the casserole in the oven.
- Customer Reviews on Amazon claim that the Stonelayer starts peeling within the first 6 months of use despite following care instructions
- The handle on the heavy pan is made out of cheap plastic and breaks easily or needs tightening every other day. Customers felt that the design could be improved.
This Classic 8-Piece set has an aluminum and stainless steel exterior and an alloy stainless steel base making it heavy and durable and extremely suitable for induction stovetops.
With the Stoneline range, to protect the stone coated layer only wooden or silicon utensils should be used. The pots and pans in this set can withstand up to 425F as it has stainless steel handles making it extremely durable and extremely convenient for “from the cooktop to the oven” dishes.
The reviews on Amazon for this set is 3.9 out of 5 stars at the point of writing this article. The Pros and Cons:
- The stainless steel base makes is conduct heat easily and transfers heat effectively on induction stovetops.
- The stainless steel handles make it more durable and stable as opposed to the plastic handle on the Deep Fry Pan. It can withstand higher temperatures up to 425F making it convenient to do one pot dishes.
- The stone coating is a breeze to clean using no detergents and just a wipe with a paper towel.
- Customer Reviews on Amazon claim that the product was overpriced and what was delivered to them was a cheap imitation. Was that a fault of Amazon’s Associates?
- Several customers mentioned that the interior coating of the pan wore off within two weeks of use.
The Stone Earth Pan by Ozeri is another German innovation – STONEHENGE. Stonehenge is a natural stone derived non-stick coating which is free of PFOA which is a chemical found in lock, stock and barrel non-stick cookware. PFOA is what allows it to be non-stick.
With Stonehenge, tested at the highest possible cooking temperatures, the pan did not release any harmful substances. The reason behind this is the stone coating is naturally derived – from nature.
The better non-stick qualities allow you to have no grease when cooking, making your meal a healthier one. And if you have a “sticky” encounter, cleaning up is easy. Just use a paper towel and throw it away.
For even cooking, The Stone-Earth Pan has been made with high quality die-cast aluminum with a magnetized base to allow even temperature distribution.
Customer Reviews on Amazon seem to be positive about the Stone-Earth Pan. It is rated 4.6 out of 5.
Here are the Pros and Cons
- It is PFOA free therefore it guarantees no release of toxic chemicals
- Because the stone is naturally derived, even at the highest tested temperature, no chemicals were released into the environment.
- The magnetized coupled with the die cast aluminum base reduces hot spots whilst the temperature stabilizes.
- Several customers mentioned that the interior coating of the pan wore off within several weeks of daily use
- Other customers complained about the need to season the pan with instructions that came with it. Apparently, the instructions given and followed made the pan’s interior look “weird”
The body is made of aluminum and it has pressure-cast aluminum bases for superior heat distribution and retention.
This type of base makes the pans suitable for all type of cooktops (gas, ceramic and induction).
The pans are lightweights, and the wide variety of sizes makes them a versatile addition to your kitchen collection.
- The price-quality ratio is spot on. You get 3 good non-stick pans for a great price.
- The coating is made not to peel, blister, or crack when heat is used
- The handless isn’t sturdy enough. This is the biggest customers complains. The screws that attach the handles to the pans’ body are too small and doesn’t provide enough support.
Among the three products that were reviewed above, The Stone-Earth Pan by Ozeri had the best reviews among Amazon purchasers.
All three products had the same complaints about the inner coating peeling off through The Stone-Earth Pan had a different issue which was the need to season the pan. This might be an inconvenient task especially if you don’t do it right. Does it void your warranty?
The common complaint about The Stoneline range apart from its interior coating peeling is that it is of an inferior product – “even Walmart has better products for the same price”
So, I guess, if I had to choose among these three, I would go for The Stone-Earth Pan by Ozeri because it has the highest rating among the three products and the fact that it seems like a better-quality product.