Taco salad bowls are a fun way of creating a salad with a Mexican touch. Greens, black beans, salsa, jalapeños and a lot of cheese. A bomb salad for sure!
It’s like taking all the inside of a taco and pouring it over a ton of greens. In Mexican restaurants, the presentation is usually in a bowl made of a tortilla. But if you are watching your calories, and your carbohydrate intake, you can use a regular bowl. I usually skip the tortilla when I’m eating this at home.
In case you want to make the tortilla bowls, the best way is using a nonstick tortilla bowl maker. They help you to get a nice tortilla bowl which will have the exact form every time.
But in case you don’t have one — like me—, you can use an oven resistant bowl for this. You can see in the pictures that I used some Ikea glass containers which I usually use for meal prep.
**Disclaimer: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. Some of our links are affiliate links
How to assemble the taco salad bowls?
If you are using tortilla bowls, assemble them just when you’re about to serve. The tortilla can get a bit soggy if you add all the filling, and leave it to sit for more than 20 minutes. The warm ground meat and the salsa create a bit of liquid that can lead to sogginess.
To avoid this, I place the greens (I use a salad mix with lettuce, coleslaw, carrot, and corn) at the bottom to create a base. Then I add the meat and all the toppings.
What can you add to the salad?
Almost anything Mexican that you like.
- Black or red beans.
- Jalapeños (a lot of them if you are like me)
- Cheese (I use a mix of mozzarella with cheddar)
- Melted cheese. Because no one ever said, “it’s enough cheese”. I like to use melted cheddar.
- Avocado. Can you talk about Mexican food without thinking of guacamole? I like to top my salad with a few pieces of avocado for a creamy touch.
- Salsa. For a touch of freshness.
If you want a dressing, you can use my cilantro garlic sauce. Delicious!
- 4 flour tortillas
- 400 gr ground beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 cups green salad mix (note 1)
- ¼ cup black beans rinsed
- 4 tbsp salsa
- Shredded cheese
- Melted cheddar (optional)
- Jalapeños (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF)
Place the tortillas in the tortilla bowl makers (or in regular oven-resistant bowland take it to the oven for 10 – 12 minutes until they are hard and slightly brown.
In a pan over medium heat, cook the ground meat with the taco seasoning.
In the tortilla bowls, add a handful of greens, then top with black beans, salsa, shredded cheese, melted cheese, and jalapeños. Serve immediately.
1. You can use your favorite pre-made salad mix or just lettuce. I use a mix of lettuce, coleslaw, carrot, and corn because I enjoy the different textures and colors.