Taco Salad Bowls
Taco salad bowls are a fun way of creating a salad with a Mexican touch. Greens, black beans, salsa, jalapeños and a lot of cheese. A bomb salad for sure!
It’s like taking all the inside of a taco and pouring it over a ton of greens. In Mexican restaurants, the presentation is usually in a bowl made of a tortilla. But if you are watching your calories, and your carbohydrate intake, you can use a regular bowl. I usually skip the tortilla when I’m eating this at home.
In case you want to make the tortilla bowls, the best way is using a nonstick tortilla bowl maker. They help you to get a nice tortilla bowl which will have the exact form every time.
But in case you don’t have one — like me—, you can use an oven resistant bowl for this. You can see in the pictures that I used some Ikea glass containers which I usually use for meal prep.
How to assemble the taco salad bowls?
If you are using tortilla bowls, assemble them just when you’re about to serve. The tortilla can get a bit soggy if you add all the filling, and leave it to sit for more than 20 minutes. The warm ground meat and the salsa create a bit of liquid that can lead to sogginess.
To avoid this, I place the greens (I use a salad mix with lettuce, coleslaw, carrot, and corn) at the bottom to create a base. Then I add the meat and all the toppings.
What can you add to the salad?
Almost anything Mexican that you like.
- Black or red beans.
- Jalapeños (a lot of them if you are like me)
- Cheese (I use a mix of mozzarella with cheddar)
- Melted cheese. Because no one ever said, “it’s enough cheese”. I like to use melted cheddar.
- Avocado. Can you talk about Mexican food without thinking of guacamole? I like to top my salad with a few pieces of avocado for a creamy touch.
- Salsa. For a touch of freshness.
If you want a dressing, you can use my cilantro garlic sauce. Delicious!
- 4 flour tortillas
- 400 gr ground beef
- 2 tbsp taco seasoning
- 2 cups green salad mix (note 1)
- ¼ cup black beans rinsed
- 4 tbsp salsa
- Shredded cheese
- Melted cheddar (optional)
- Jalapeños (optional)
- Avocado (optional)
Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF)
Place the tortillas in the tortilla bowl makers (or in regular oven-resistant bowland take it to the oven for 10 – 12 minutes until they are hard and slightly brown.
In a pan over medium heat, cook the ground meat with the taco seasoning.
In the tortilla bowls, add a handful of greens, then top with black beans, salsa, shredded cheese, melted cheese, and jalapeños. Serve immediately.
1. You can use your favorite pre-made salad mix or just lettuce. I use a mix of lettuce, coleslaw, carrot, and corn because I enjoy the different textures and colors.