Shrimp Ceviche (Ceviche de Camarón)
This super easy shrimp ceviche or ceviche de camarón is a burst of flavor in your mouth. It is a classic Peruvian recipe that creates an exotic dish with simple ingredients.
Peruvian food has always been my favorite type of food. I just can’t get enough of the bold flavors in the Peruvian cuisine.
This is a fresh recipe that never gets old. You can serve it as a starter for a dinner or eat with some crackers as a dinner.
What you must know about Peruvian food and basically about ceviche, in general, is that less is more. This is because if you add a ton of strong flavor ingredients you can overpower the delicate flavor of the fish and, in this case, of the shrimps.
What are the key ingredients for a perfect shrimp ceviche?
- Purple onions: This type of onion is better to eat it raw because they have a mild flavor.
- Lime juice: Yes LIME, not lemons. It has a stronger flavor and they are more acidic than lemons. In South America, we usually use only limes. I just started using lemons once I moved to Portugal (here lemons are cheaper)
- Coriander: You can use a mix of coriander and parsley, but if you have to decide only one at the grocery store choose coriander. It will give the authentic ceviche flavor to the mix.
- Shrimp: I think that this one is a little obvious but don’t forget to buy high-quality shrimp. Remember that it must be peeled and deveined.
After these key ingredients, you can add a some more to make your own twist of the classic shrimp ceviche recipe. Just don’t get too crazy, remember less is more.
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe and I see you in the next one!
- 250 gr shrimp deveined and with the tail
- 1 small purple onion
- 1 firm tomato
- 1 tbsp thinly chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp thinly chopped fresh coriander
- 4 limes juiced
- 1 jalapeño without seeds
Cook the shrimps for 2 minutes in boiling water. To stop the cooking process, place the shrimps in a bowl with cool water and ice.
Cut the onion, the jalapeño, and the tomato into small cubes.
In a big bowl pour the juice of the lime and add all the other ingredients and mix. Let it sit for 2 minutes to allow the lime juice to “cook” the shrimps.